Follow by Email

2.19.2013

Transporter Room Floors


The floor of the transporter room wasn't as much of a challenge as I thought it would be, thanks to a great blog article written by Basil on his similar project's blog, Star Station Computer Art.  While I had noticed that the vacuum-formed "greebly wall" panel that was used as the floor was also used several times throughout the original Trek movies and TNG, Basil compiled a lot of great reference material on his blog that allowed me to build this static mesh as quickly as possible.

This particular image served as my main reference image in MAX.  What a godsend.


Took me about 4 hours to build this tileable static mesh in 3ds Max.  Luckily I had some great reference material.



Building it took a while, yes, as I'm still new at Max.  Also, I wasn't sure if Unreal3 would handle all the polygons without frame rate taking a punch.  I once tried the same thing in Quake III, with a lower poly model, and frame rate plummeted.  However, my initial tests in Unreal3 have shown that it can handle far more polys than Quake III, and after tiling this mesh 8 times within the floor of the transporter room (adding ~40,000 polys), frame rate has dropped only a negligible amount.


 Here are the results, which turned out rather nicely with specularity and a ambient occlusion map added.


No comments:

Post a Comment