Follow by Email

5.30.2013

Transpoter Room: Finished!

After wading through hundreds of screenshots and asking many people in the Trek fan community for advice or input, I think it's safe to say that the TOS Transporter Room is now complete. 

Before we begin, let's take a trip down memory lane, shall we?

Below is a screen cap from my 2007 attempt to replicate the Transporter room, using the ANCIENT LucasArts Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith Engine.  You can tell I didn't do my homework.  Look at those horrible proportions!
YUCK!

Next up we have my  2011 attempt with the Quake III Engine.  Obviously I still didn't do my homework, and to make matters worse, most of the project was a copy and paste job from the Mysteries of the Sith version you see above.  Notice that Quake III didn't even support smoothing groups on the brush work!
OH, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!  No smoothing groups??




And that brings us to today.

My 2013 attempt with the Unreal Development Kit. 

So much better.

It also helps that I'm using set blueprints this time around, and I have a few fans over at TrekBBS helping out, lending me their research involving set measurements, screen caps, control screen graphics, etc. 

Plus, I should note, I'm sober this time around (10 and a half months strong!).  The focus I now possess definitely helps me churn out better quality work.















2 comments:

  1. I rate this 5 stars, everything looks so original from the show! Can't wait to see how the characters turn out, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I recently found this blog and I'm really excited about this project.
    The screenshots give the impression of a professional made game and it looks very good.
    Do you plan on supporting Oculus Rift? I will get one Rift in a few days and this Project seems to be the ultimate goal for a StarTrek fan.
    I also have to ask: When will this project reach a state where you can publish a demo (maybe one room)?

    ReplyDelete